Friday, July 26, 2013

POST # 5: FACEPALM

So, I decided to see what would happen if I Google'd this blog, to see if I could actually "find" myself out there among the interwebs.  I plugged "Reality Based Life Form" into Google, hit enter, and saw that yes indeed, this blog shows up out there - the miracle of the Inter-connected Networks!

(Didn't you always wonder where the word "Internet" came from?)



However, also listed by the Lords of Google were a couple other, un-related entries.  It appears there is (was) another Blogger site floating around out there with a similar name, called "Reality-Based Lifeform" - note that this other title is hyphenated (mine is not) and that it is a singular 'Lifeform' (mine is plural). The beauty part is that this blog appears to be inactive - its last post was in 2005, so I doubt much traffic is going there these days that might be confused by my existence here under an unfortunately similar name.


If that isn't bad enough, however, there is also an older (2003) predecessor of the blog above, entitled "Reality-Based Lifeform" on the Angelfire platform.  


Do you think it woulda been smart for me to do this BEFORE I named my new blog?

FACEPALM.... <------shakes head.


Total rookie blogger mistake.  I will apologize right now for anyone who WANTED to go here who ends up there (and even more so for those who wanted to go THERE but landed HERE instead).  Apologies also to the creator(s) of those other blogs for stepping on their toes with my clumsy name choice.


The author of the Blogger site above is listed as "The Reality Based Lifeform", but I cannot see a more detailed profile of that user while in Internet Explorer or Google Chrome.  However, on the mobile version of the Blogger site the author is listed (also unhelpfully) as "RBLF" - which is, of course, the abbreviation I use in my blog's URL. Grrrrrrrr! I cannot see a user profile or author listed for the Angelfire blog, but it clearly appears to be the same person.


Lastly, I also stumbled across an active "Reality Based Lifeform" user profile on TheBlaze.com.  

So again, apologies for all this confusion.  Should it ever actually cause anyone any REAL confusion, then please let me know via comment below, and if it becomes enough of an issue, I will consider changing my title.

No comments:

Post a Comment